Office of Student Teaching Information
Student Teaching Handbook Content
The information in the handbooks is accurate at the time of printing; however, policies are subject to change based on state guidelines. Check with your academic advisor before making a major decision based on the contents of this handbook. This handbook is meant to offer advice; final decisions about your program of study are yours.
Spring 2015 Student Teachers See Below
Instructions for Applicants
The application for Spring 2015 Student Teaching is now open. Please click on the link to complete the form. PLEASE read the Instructions for Applying BEFORE completing the application.
- Student teachers must pass their certification area state approved content exam prior to student teaching.
- If for any reason you do not plan to student teach after you submit your application, please notify the Student Teaching Office.
- Notice the date of the Student Teacher Orientation prior to your student teaching semester.
- Do not attempt to arrange your own placement. The Student Teaching Office makes all arrangements for student teaching assignments.
- At least 4 (four) students must be placed in a district for the site to be used during a given semester. This policy is strictly enforced.
- You MUST choose from the Student Teaching Placement sites on our list. See link below for list.
- Check the date of your TB test to be sure that it is current (less than 1 year old) before entering the classroom to teach.
- Notification of your student teaching placement will be sent by e-mail to the address indicated on the student teaching application. Provide an e-mail address that is current and check your e-mail frequently. If you have not received notification of your placement by the week of finals, please check with the Student Teaching Office regarding the status of your assignment.
- Student teaching is a 7-9 hour course load and begins in January and August. Registration instructions will be given to you with your placement information.
- If you have a documented disability for which you are requiring accommodations you are encouraged to contact the Student Teaching Office, room 212, McKibben Education Building, phone 936-468-1575, and the Office of Disability Services, room 325, Human Services/Telecommunications Building, phone 936-468-3004 or 936-468-1004 TDD, as early as possible.